Friday, March 23, 2007

Distractions in Disguise

This past week, I really have been concentrating on finishing the editing of my ms. It is taking FOREVER and it is time I just knock the thing out. The problem is, I have come to the conclusion that I am the most easily distracted person in all of western civilization. No, I do not suffer from ADD, but I do have one heck of a tummy ache. Allow me to explain.

Last night, my husband and I were wondering the aisles of Safeway looking for a little "snack." We were headed to the Ben & Jerry’s when there, shining at the end of the aisle like a beacon of light was a glorious display of Betty Crocker cake mixes and frostings. Jared, who has the absolute worst sweet tooth (I think he would brush his teeth with sugar cubes if he could) turned to me with the ‘look’ in his eyes and basically informed me that I would be killing a part of his soul if we didn’t have cake that night for desert. Nice approach, huh?

Okay, so I admit I gave in a bit too easily. At first, I remember pulling the cake from the oven and asking myself how did I ever manage to think baking a 13x9 cake for TWO people was somehow a good idea? But oh, once I spread the gooey fudge frosting over it and took my first bite, I was officially hooked. There was cake for desert, cake for a midnight snack, cake for breakfast… Betty Crocker was now an official member of the Birt family.

However, the real problem was when I sat down this morning to begin my daily dose of editing. All of a sudden, I couldn’t get through a single sentence without the cake whispering my name from the kitchen. I would go and steal a bite, cover it back up and then head back into the office determined to make it through a page without being distracted by the desert in the other room. The minuets ticked by and I nervously would look at the door, fighting the urge to give in. The moist sweetness of the cake, the richness of the frosting, it was too much! I stood from my chair, walked back into the kitchen, took several more bites and stuffed into the fridge. Aha! Take that you despicable calories! I think I made it a whole eight minutes before opening the fridge back up.

I realized I had a problem when my husband walked into the office and asked me why over half the cake had gone MIA. Oops. I plead the fifth. Had I really eaten that much? Maybe THAT explains the terrible ache I have in the pit of my stomach.

You know, that is also true in our daily walks with Jesus. So many times, we are sidetracked by what we think is the “sweet stuff” that we end up not being able to concentrate on what we really should. We are left with nothing but aches and pains and consequently, no room is ever left for the things that give us true and lasting satisfaction.

Eph. 3:17-19 “…that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God.”

So that is all for right now; I have to go get a bite of cake...
I mean, get back to my editing.
=) Rebekah

4 comments:

Katie Johnson said...

I laughed till I cried over your post. And guess what I was doing while I read it? Eating a piece of chocolate cake! I haven't made or eaten cake in many years. And today it just seemed like a must-do! I think I'm going to wrap the rest of it up and ship it to you!
Great post!

Unknown said...

Okay, what's going on with everyone today? I think there's been another meeting of the SSSB (Secret Society for Sabotaging Brice). Starting today, I am not allowed ANY sugar or carbs for 14 days (South Beach). And yet every time I turn around there are people speaking of or - much worse - offering me delectable treats. Must. Stay. Strong.

PS: Can't wait to read it!!

Rebekah Birt said...

The both of you are so funny!!! I nearly fell off my chair in giggles when I read your post, Katie! I never eat or make cake either but for some reason, it was just irresistible that day! It seems we all have been bitten by the sugar bug lately! Thanks for being loyal readers!

PS. to Brice. When are you going to start writing?

Anonymous said...

A woman after my own heart! I just finished my 100+ page portfolio for my National Boards for teaching and the process went very much like you described--can't think of anything to write? Ben&Jerry's. Stuck for an example? blueberry muffin. Decided to abandon teaching immediately? chocolate overdose.

How wonderful that you're nurturing and recognizing your gift thirty years before I did! And I love your submission of laying it all at Jesus' feet. You go, girl!