Saturday, March 31, 2007

Thoughts in the Palm of My Hand

I really need to start carrying around my own little ‘writers’ notebook. You know, just something to write down my thoughts about plots, characters, where I want them to go etc. They pop into my head like a radiant pouf of clarity and before I can say ‘hot-diggety-dog’, they are gone. Vanished. Never to be retrieved again. Lately, I have been resorting to writing things on my hand like a fifth grader. Just little notes I jot onto my hand to trigger my memory later. I know, I know, my mom always told me it looks tacky and that it might lead to ink poisoning. So I don’t really believe the latter, but I will agree that it does look a little shoddy for a young woman to be walking through the grocery store with scribbles covering her arms like a henna tattoo. The problem is, if I don’t go home immediately and write it down somewhere else, the idea doesn’t really last for long.

During this morning's devotions, I read Isaiah 49:16:

“…You will absolutely never forget me! You have engraved me on the palms of Your hands.”

I love this verse and I had to let the full meaning of this sink into my brain. While I might have to hastily look for a pen to write something on my hand, God already has me engraved into His. I can’t be washed off with soap or water; I can’t be worn off after a long and busy day. I am right there, constantly in the forefront of His thoughts and love. I cannot ever be overlooked and as a writer who is notorious for forgetting everything from where I last put my keys to what direction I want the stories I write to go, I am so thankful for God’s promise. His story for my life can never be forgotten. He doesn’t need little reminders to prompt Him to get back to writing it. He is the greatest author of all time and He knows exactly where I am headed.

3 comments:

Katie Johnson said...

Oh Rebekah, this is just beautiful! I love your writing style. You know, this post, expanded, would make a great submission for a mag or online zine.

Kristy Dykes said...

Hi. I found you from your comment on the ACFW loop. I enjoyed reading your posts. They are refreshing! God bless--

Anonymous said...

Greetings : )
Why do people (society in general) still pre-judge people who have tattoos. women commonly?
I'm a twenty six year old F, have 10 tats, lots of which cannot be spotted on my daily travels. Five To Six in the summer are pretty much constantly on display. I don't strive for attention and i also have a loving boyfriend Without Any TATTOOS .I get the impression that many people think that tattooed persons are blind, once we get stared at, even when we return a glance people carry on staring. When will society change?