Sunday, September 28, 2008

The Body

"When Moses' hands grew tired, they took a stone and put it under him and he sat on it. Aaron and Hur held his hands up-one on one side, one on the other-so that his hands remained STEADY till sunset." Exodus 17:12

The beauty of this verse caught me off guard a couple of weeks ago.

I have so many dear friends and family members that are currently undergoing trying times in their life. From sickness to negative pregnancy tests I realize just how tired they must be. It's not that their faith is fading... but I know their hands must be shaking with exhaustion as they keep reaching out in faith month after month.

I imagine Moses trying to sit there with the weight of a victory on his shoulders.

10 minutes pass, then hours.

His arms, reaching up to heaven, must have started to shake as his strength was no match for the crushing pressure of this monumental task. His shoulders must have ached with exhaustion. I wonder if he started to cry out or if sweat started dripping down his face. Suddenly, this command of demonstrated faithfulness must have felt like a burden too large for him to carry.

God could have just said, "Moses, I hear your cries. I understand this is a lot for any person to carry so I will now take it from you." He could have relieved him of the stress in a blink of an eye.

Instead, God had a different plan. Just as Moses’ arms were about to drop, a brother and friend came alongside him and held him steady till sunset. When I first thought about this verse, I thought ‘how cool is that! They just held up his hands so it was easy for Moses.’ But the more I think about it out, I realize that their arms must have felt the same tiring ache to an extent. Aaron and Hur shared in that burden, in his pain and they didn’t abandon Moses when it became inconvenient. Hours passed and as the darkness of twilight started to overcome them, these three men were silhouetted against a sunset in a beautiful picture of love, faith and committed friendship.

Sometimes, there are burdens that God gives us that we can’t bear on our own. We need our fellow brothers and sisters in Christ to come alongside and help keep us steady when our arms start to shake. I love that God designed the church for this purpose. It doesn’t matter what congregation we attend or if we live in the suburbs or the inner city. We are one body in Christ. An ever moving, diverse body of believers that is called to a single purpose.

I just want to say to all my friends and family that are going through trying times that I am there for you. That I will come along side you and weep with you if you need someone to share in your pain. I will be there if you need a smile or just someone to sit in silence with you. I will be there until the sun goes down and together we shall keep each other steady.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I love your writing- Becca. This one really touched me- it's so often that we go to our brothers and sisters who are struggling and offer them advice- "hey mo- why not put your arms down for a few minutes to rest?" instead of sharing in the burden and BEING the body. Thank you for the reminder, and the challenge.

Bonnie Kim said...

You have always proved this to me. Thank you.