Monday, September 1, 2008

In Memory

This is my journal entry from me and Jared's hike today...

"Jared and I made the hike up to Angel's Rest today and now I'm on a boulder overlooking the Gorge. It is a perfect moment with my very best friend. I'm at complete peace and overwhelmed with just how beautiful it is up here. I'm so blessed to be surrounded by God's creation like this in a place where I live and to be able to share it with my hubby.

We were just sitting on a bench at the end of the trail, soaking up the blue of the water, the varigated green of the trees and the gray mist of the clouds when a man and a young boy cam and sat down next to us on the ground. The man whose name is Jeff, was friendly in conversation and asked if we had ever been up here to the bench before.

It was then that I saw his boquet of colorful dalias.

The bench we were sitting on had a memorial plaque attached to it for a woman by the name of Susan Hendricks. This man was her husband and the boy was her son who was only 10 days old when she died. They come up here, every year, to resand the bench and sit in memory of her.

I couldn't help but cry as I heard her husband talk about his wife and how it has been for his son who has no memory of his Mom. I was overwhelmed by their peace, their smiles and the loving touch of a dad and a son as they sanded away the carvings and weathering of another year gone by.

To me, it was such a precious moment to experience and it reminded me that admist the tragedy of this life, peace can be found in the love we share with others. The memories of people and the impact they had on our lives will never die and never will they stop being important. I know this life will change and there might be a day when Jared isn't by my side. But just as that solitary bench sits overlooking the beauty of the Gorge, I realize my memories of days like today will be a sanctuary for me to find peace and I suddenly know I will be okay.

Thank you Lord, for this day and the glimpse of love and comfort you revealed to me. It was such a gift to behold."


Jeff and Jordan at the bench's initial dedication. For more information, visit the website: www.susanlhendricksmemorials.net


Almost ten years later. They forgot their camera and asked if we wouldn't mind taking one of them. Praying God blesses your family!


A close-up of the plaque on the bench. Very touching.


My hubby and I taking in the beautiful view. I chopped off my hair and got red streaks! Kinda hard to tell in this pic but I feel like a rock star! ;)

2 comments:

Brice said...

That's a really cool story. And I know that man and his son were blessed being able to share their story with you two. I love how the Lord can use such a simple moment or experience to show us a little bit of truth and a glimpse of His face.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for writing this.